Thursday, August 14, 2008

Growing up!

My one month shy of turning 11 year old started her period this past Sunday! It just came all of a sudden. I handled it much better than I thought I would, but I have to say I was a little down all that day. Of course, Tehya's friend invited her to the lake that day. I preferred her to stay home because I didn't know how bad it was going to be being her first time and all (also we were spring cleaning before we head to the beach). Jason kept saying, "she can go, just let her go." I was giving him the eye...we had some drop in visitors at the time, finally he caught on. He really didn't want to talk about it. He said he's not ready for this. The whole situation wasn't how I imagined it would be...honestly I don't really know how I had imagined it. Anyway... she handled things pretty well. She actually showered everyday (you'll understand if you've read previous blogs). I'm glad it didn't happen this weekend (we'll be at the beach) and next Wednesday 8/20 they start school!
Jason and I are realizing that she is going through some emotional issues as well. Feeling certain ways that she probably can't even explain why she is feeling that way, so we are going to try to be more attentive to this. I know this is a scary and exciting time for her and we hope to make the best of it.
I read somewhere that said that children that are able (and do) talk to their parents about sex openly are more apt to not participate in sexual activities, or wait til later, due to understanding the consequences (pregnancy, disease) of having sex. This makes me feel better about talking about it with her.

No comments: